Foodiva's Kitchen: Going With The Flow in 2012

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Going With The Flow in 2012

The point is, not to resist the flow. You go up when you're supposed to go up and down when you're supposed to go down. When you're supposed to go up, find the highest tower and climb to the top. When you're supposed to go down, find the deepest well and go down to the bottom. When there's no flow, stay still.

~ Haruki Murakami, author of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
2012

Ironically, for my last post of the year, I have no profound words nor a new recipe to offer you. A bit strange for a blog, and a food blog at that. I decided not to make any resolutions for the year ahead because, well, I am who I am. If I hadn't already made any significant changes in myself over the last decade or so, I doubt if writing something down on a list will now work to elevate my character. Not that I'm anywhere near perfect, but I'm in a happy place right now and would rather focus on living very much in the present.

Now let me tell you something about this food blog and what it has come to mean to me. Like many other years, this year has had its share of ups and downs but this blog, it's a soothing constant in my universe. I do believe the regularity of writing and interacting with you all has kept me sane. Even though I may have sounded insane at times, believe me, having you guys in my life has made me very, very happy. You (yes, you!) have become like a family member, my additional family to complement my real one.

Of course, our passion for food is the actual thing that binds us all together. Because it is a source of nourishment, I hope we will never get tired of it. Or rather, we shouldn't. I'd wear the adage, "All that you believe about love, change, joy and possibility is revealed in how, when and what you eat" on my apron sleeves if my apron had them. Everything I had ever presented on my plate therefore represents my experiences, the world through my eyes and more importantly, my heart.

And so for my end of year 'share 'n care' package for you, I've resisted posting up my favorite new year song by ABBA and instead have chosen these 3 powerful videos. First and foremost, they are all beautifully shot and composed. Secondly, they contain messages that I think all of us can carry in our hearts over the coming year. 

Robin Thicke's Can You Believe for those crappy days ahead:

Kina Grannis' Strong Enough for those crappy people you're going to encounter, and you are going to meet them!:

One of my favorite commercials showcasing filial piety, for when you forget what's (or who's) important. It's corny and the lead actress shares my name, but if you can look past those details, this ad is extremely touching:

Have a blessed New Year and let's continue having a blast in 2012!

21 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Happy New Year, Maya!

I've enjoyed getting to know you this year & look forward to all that is to come :-)

Jswm said...

Happy New Year! :)

Yesim said...

Happy New Year!!

Jocie's Mom said...

You know what I've got for crappy people? A frying pan to the back of the head :)

I'm totally going Foodiva this year. Go jump in a lake, Fruitless, Unattainable Resolutions!

Anca@Bistro Gerard said...

I totally agree with the idea of living in the present moment and enjoying it - sounds like a wonderful "resolution" for 2012 :-) Happy New Year, Maya!

Torviewtoronto said...

happy holidays to you and family

the [sugar] apothecary said...

Happy New Year! I am so glad to hear you are in a happy place, not driving yourself bananas with resolutions and nonsense. High five! I'm in the same boat this year - with the minor addition of a more consistent, challenging baking routine (but hey, who's complaining?)

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us all! It has been such a great year getting to know you and your kitchen :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year - I'm so glad we were able to meet over the blog-o-sphere! I LOVE the bottom video - thank you for including it!

S.V. said...

I hope you have a wonderful New Year! I like Robin Thicke when my hubby and I were first dating I remember him playing "lost without you" for me to listen to and it always makes me smile. :) May the New Year be wonderful for you and your family.

Daisy@Nevertoosweet said...

Happy New Year Maya :)
Think it's great that you're always creating innovative and creative recipes ~
thanks again for all the support you've given me!

TinaRBK said...

Maya it truly has been a wonderful year and I am glad we became friends! I loved the last video and I wish you all the best in 2012!

Alexandrina said...

Happy New Year!

Magic of Spice said...

Beautiful videos Maya...wishing you a fantastic 2012, hugs!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

No crappy people this year, just a crappy month and holiday (except for Christmas). Looking for the upswing in 2012. Maya, my friend, I want to wish you a wonderful New Year for 2012 filled with health, loved ones and success in your endeavors.

Norm said...

Just catching up in blogworld after our holiday - and LOVE your approach to New Year's Resolutions! May 2012 be a wonderfully happy one for you and yours, and hope to see you soon. Kate x
p.s. that commercial made me cry. Darn hormones!

Shutterbug said...

happy new year! may 2012 bring you much happiness!

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

Love Robin Thicke’s Can U believe – such a soothing and uplifting song. I can relate – my blog has been a saving grace the last year. And yes, reading posts from my fellow foodies (def yours!) not only kept me sane, but also inspired me to keep going on the blogging journey. Love your blog.

Happy New Year!!!

Tasty Trix said...

Well I for one am far too old to make some essential change .... luckily I am (mostly) okay with who I am already! That said, I'd say goodbye to a few extra pounds with no regrets, lol. Happy New Year!!! xoxoxo

Gina said...

I'm stuck in the flow that's the problem, I've got to get out of the flow. - Elf-

Words to live by my friend. Resolutions are for people who aren't already achieving what it is that they want out of life, which isn't you by any stretch of the imagination.

Happy New Year it's gonna be a great one, that I'm sure of.
-Gina-

Nancy said...

Wait, wait, wait! I read all your admirable and inspirational words and watched the 3 beautiful videos, but ABBA is ruining it all for me. I hate ABBA! So I guess we can't be friends anymore Maya...

Fine so the truth is that my life without Maya would suck. So let's compromise shall we? Don't ever listen to ABBA when I'm around. That is unless you want to torture me ;P

Related Posts with Thumbnails