Foodiva's Kitchen: Diet-Buster Chocolate Oats Bar

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Diet-Buster Chocolate Oats Bar


If you're on a diet, or under the illusion that you are (what the heck are you doing here then?), then look away. Click on one of my other healthier posts, because this one is going to ruin your regimented eating, or you - whichever comes first.

However, if you're a balanced eater, or an A-list superstar with a personal trainer as lenient as Jillian Michaels, then stay. Enjoy the pictures, at least, even if you don't ever get to make (or eat) these decadent bars. Now, let me warn you that aside from the oats and um, tomatoes, every ingredient in this recipe spells D-A-N-G-E-R. That reads as "happiness", by the way. *grins*


OMG-icious!

Wouldn't you be happy if you had peanut butter, chocolate, condensed milk and yes, healthy oats pass through your lips in one go? Don't rub your nose when you answer, because I'd be happy. Of course, I'd only have one slice of these bars, or perhaps two, then I'd be running my ass off on the treadmill/roads before I lose myself completely. And then I'd have a slice more. LOL. Come on, you only live once!


 

Diet-Buster Chocolate Oats Bar
Yields: 3kgs or 10lbs on the hips

Ingredients:
½ cup butter
2 cups graham cracker biscuits or Digestives, crumbed
2 cups organic rolled oats
1 can (400g) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chopped chocolate
¾ cup peanut butter
1/3 cup dried, candied tomatoes, chopped
Sea salt, to sprinkle

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Place the biscuits in a food processor to crumb them, then put in a bowl. Melt butter in the microwave and add to the biscuit crumbs. Mix with a spoon until combined.
3. Sprinkle biscuit crumbs into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan and pat down firmly with the back of a spoon to create an even surface.
4. Add oats on top of the biscuit layer, and pat down evenly as well.
5. Pour condensed milk carefully over the oats layer, and by tilting the pan gently towards the four corners of the pan, you will be able to spread the condensed milk fairly evenly.
6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown.
7. Before you take out the baking tin, melt the chocolate and peanut butter in a pan over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Pour this mixture over the hot base, and tilt pan as before to ensure complete coverage by the chocolate. Sprinkle chopped dried fruits (I used candied tomatoes) and a pinch of sea salt on the chocolate layer.
8. Cool completely before chilling in the fridge for easy slicing.
9. Consume with a tall, cold glass of milk, and at your own peril!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! I am in heaven looking at those delicious bars! Yummy, they would definitely be worth it!

Unknown said...

Sweetums, from the number of bars I've eaten, I'm estimating that I need to work out for 15 hours every day for the next month or so! But we sure do know how to live!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

sounds wonderful looks even better~

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds irresistible. Good thing I'm not dieting this week.

Unknown said...

Claudia, many thanks! I was just reading about your fun cruise, it looked so relaxing and beautiful pictures.

Barbara, you know the saying - that diet starts tomorrow - or next week? Well, let's practice that and today, this week, let's indulge and live! LOL, thanks for commenting.

Baking Barrister said...

I should have listened to your warning and looked away. I'm curious about the tomatoes--why and what kind of flavor do they impart?

Unknown said...

Baking Barrister, the tomatoes were a last minute addition, I'd wanted some dried fruit in these but I only had dried tomatoes, and they are technically a vegetable. And thus they made me feel less guilty about eating the bars! As for the flavor they impart,there's no strong tomato-ey taste. Just a sweetness and chewy texture to add to the overall sinfulness of the bars. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails